The National Pantheon, housing the tombs of Portugal’s major historic celebrities, is located on the original site of the church of Santa Engrácia. Founded in the second half of the 16th century, the building was totally rebuilt at the end of the 17th century by the architect João Antunes. Even though it was never used as a place of worship, it still preserves, under its modern dome, a majestic nave with a polychrome marble decoration typical of the Portuguese Baroque architecture. Being an icon of Lisbon’s cityscape and having a privileged location, as it overlooks the city’s historic centre and the river Tagus, it is listed as a National Monument.
Outubro / março
De Terça a Domingo: das 10h00 às 17h00 (última entrada às 16h40)
Abril / setembro
De Terça a Domingo: das 10h00 às 18h00 (última entrada às 17h40)
Encerra às Segunda–feira, 1 de Janeiro, Domingo de Páscoa, 1 de Maio, 13 de Junho, 24 e 25 de Dezembro
It may be used for Conferences, music and poetry recitals, book launching, solemn acts, cultural activities, and exhibitions.
Days and timings of events will be arranged on a case- by- case basis.
Forecourt and Galilee
Area: 500 m2
An forecourt separates the monument from the surrounding area. The galilee is a masterpiece of Baroque sculpture, as can be seen in its unique sculptural complex by the French sculptor Claude Laprade.
It has direct access to the Central structure, which is an advantage for individuals with reduced mobility;
It may be used for open air activities using tents, cocktails, theatre shows, film shooting, receptions, presentations, fashion shows;
It has light and sound equipment;
Standing capacity: 1500 Seating capacity: 500.
Area: 1760 m2
Large vaulted space dominated by a dome. It was never used as a place of worship. A testimony to the Baroque period in Portugal, it is noteworthy for its polychrome marble variations and undulating volumes.
There is direct access from/to the yard outside;
Easy access for persons with reduced mobility;
It may be used for concerts, theatre shows, film shootings and receptions;
It has light and sound equipment;
Standing capacity: 1200 people Seating capacity: 600 in auditorium style or 400 at tables.
Area: 1400 m2
Built during the intervention made to complete the dome (1966), the terrace is an ample space all around the dome with a panoramic view of Lisbon.
It may be used for cocktails, cultural events, and film shootings;
It is equipped with a lighting system;
Standing capacity: 800 people Seating capacity: 300 people.
Director: Santiago Macias
Panteão Nacional/ Igreja de Santa Engrácia, Campo de Santa Clara, 1100 - 471 isboa
Telephone: + 351 218 854 820
How to get here
Buses: 712, 728, 734, 735, 704, 745, 759, 781, 782
Underground: Blue line (Santa Apolónia Station)
Tickets: on site or email@example.com
Forthcoming events – Link para agenda cultural
Shop – Link loja online
Open during the Monument’s visiting hours
Stock for sale: postcards, scientific and learning publications and reproductions of collections from DGPC’s monuments, museums and palaces.
Loja do Mundo Conventual: a shop specialised in quality regional products.
Library - Link Bibliotecas
Free parking is available for cars and buses in front of the monument.
Leaflets (Portuguese, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Japanese).
Signposting (Portuguese and English)
Virtual viewpoint outside and inside the building, in Portuguese
There is access for individuals with reduced mobility in the monument’s Central structure.